Giants capture boys track county title

Back to Article
Back to Article

Giants capture boys track county title

Boosted by individual titles from seniors Dominic Day and Mike Adams, the Ben Davis boys track team captured the 2019 Marion County championship with 130 points Wednesday night at North Central.

Day won his second straight county title in the long jump with a jump of 23 feet, 1.5 inches. He also finished third in the high jump at 6 feet, 6 inches. Adams won the 200 in :22.32 and was second in the 100 at :11.30. He also led off the winning 4 by 100 relay team that captured county in :42.33. That relay team also featured senior Reon Garrett and juniors Dona Fagnon and Capone Powell.

The Giants also captured two of the top five spots in the 400 with senior Maurice Higgins finishing second and junior Aaron Moody fifth. Powell and Fagnon went 2-4, respectively, in the 100 high hurdles while senior Jahod Fair and junior Trent Gipson went 2-4 in the 300 hurdles.

Ben Davis also scored well in distance races with seniors Jesse Vargas and Shewa Gared going 4-5 in the 1600.

The win came against state powers North Central and Pike. The state tournament begins next week with Ben Davis hosting boys sectional on Thursday. Girls sectionals open on Tuesday with Ben Davis running at Southport. The BD girls host regionals on May 21.