Upcoming Events

Sophomore shines on the diamond

Waltermire impressive this season

Being a student-athlete can be tough. Between long school days, and games in the evening, not everyone has it in them to handle both.

However, some individuals are very capable of handling both. One student in particular, sophomore Hannah Waltermire, is one of these individuals. Hannah ranks in the top 150 students in her class, as well as maintaining a 4.1 GPA.

On top of her impressive academics, Waltermire says she has been committed to playing softball for “11 years” and really enjoys it because she “loves how many people I’ve met because of it and how many opportunities it leads me to”. 

Waltermire participates in softball year round, where she says she is a member of the “Pro X Phoenix 16u- Gregory” team outside of school, then plays for the Giants at multiple positions. So far into the season Waltermire says she feels she is “putting up good stats” with her “ leading in batting average and on base percentage”. Currently, Waltermire says her “ batting average is .404 and base percentage is .514”. As her season has gone on, she has been most proud of “being recognized by IndyStar” as co-player of the week, which is very hard, and a great accomplishment for a sophomore. 

Hannah believes she’s become a better player thanks to her brother, senior Nathan Waltermire, who also plays baseball for the Giants. Waltermire says he “has definitely played a huge role in making me better. He is always willing to drive me to go hit or throw whenever. He is always pushing me to become better but is one of my biggest fans at the same time.”

As Waltermire continues on in her high school career, she says “I am hoping to get my first offer, find my fit for college, and commit to play at the collegiate level” within her next two seasons with the Giants. Considering this year’s softball season is coming to an end soon, Waltermire says she is “really proud of the work the team has done” and is really just “looking forward to my last few games with my seniors.”

The work Waltermire has put in has so far paid off, and she is definitely a player to keep your eyes on for the rest of the season, and her seasons to come. 

View Comments (1)