Upcoming Events

Henry returns to fulfill his dream

Demarco Henry (right) prays during the state breakfast prior to the 2014 state football game. Henry is the new strength coach at Ben Davis.

DeMarco Henry is living his dream.

Henry, a member of the 2014 Ben Davis state championship football team, will replace Kevin Vanderbush as strength coach at Ben Davis next year. Vanderbush is retiring after 40 years at Ben Davis.

As a senior, Henry made it known his dream job was to return to his alma mater to replace Vanderbush. He has accomplished that.

Henry has deep ties to Wayne Township. His younger brother Aaron was a member of the 2017 BD state championship basketball team. Henry answered some questions as he transitions from strength coach at Lawrenceburg High School to Ben Davis. 

What high school did you attend and when did you graduate?

“Ben Davis High School, Class of 2015.”

What college did you attend and what did you study?

“DePauw University, Class of 2019,  I studied and received my Bachelor’s degree in Kinesiology.”

How long have you been a strength and conditioning coach? 

“I have been a strength and conditioning coach for five years now.”

Where have you coached?

“I’ve coached at Northern Arizona University, DePauw University, and most recently Lawrenceburg High School.”

Did you play any sports in highschool or college?

“I played football and threw the shot put and discus in both high school and college (I was a four-year starter at fullback as well as 2x conference champion in the discus in college).”

What inspired you to become a strength coach?

“When I was 16, I remember asking Coach Vanderbush what it would take to be in his shoes. At that point there was a switch in our relationship as mentor and mentee. He took me under his wing and began to show me what it truly meant to be a transformational coach. He helped me begin to understand the privilege and responsibility of leadership. I saw the impact he had not only on my life but countless others, and realized that there was nothing else I would rather do with my life than serve others in such a meaningful way.”

What does becoming the strength and conditioning coach at Ben Davis mean to you?

“Being named as the next Strength and Conditioning Coach of Ben Davis means so much more than I could ever fully express. For so many people to trust in my ability to help lead our athletic program is an honor. Personally, some kids dream of becoming President, some kids dream of playing professional sports, others dream of being the Strength and Conditioning Coach at Ben Davis High School. Coming home back around my family and giving back to the community that raised me is the realization of a dream.”