Giants knock off No. 1 Center Grove

History repeated itself Friday in the form of the number three team defeating the number one team.

Last year Center Grove came to number one Ben Davis and defeated the Giants to end our dreams of an undefeated season. Ben Davis returned the favor this past Friday when they went to Center Grove on the Trojans homecoming and ended their undefeated season with a 37-20 win.

Ben Davis came out and put two quick strikes together and put the Trojans down 13-0 in the first quarter. The Trojans put a couple of drives together to even the game at 13-13 with a couple minutes left in the second quarter.

The Giants put together a drive that ended in a field goal to put the Giants up 16-13 at halftime. The second half was all Giants with long offensive drives, turnovers by the defense and an interception returned for a touchdown by senior Chris Busbee.

The Giants defense nearly shut the Trojan offense out in the second half until late in the fourth . By that time it was too late. The defense held the Trojans to only 304 total offensive yards, while the Giants had one-third of that in passing yards (202). Junior Kyle Castner was 18 of 22 and threw three touchdown passes.

With a win over Center Grove the Giants secured a place in the running for the MIC title. The Giants (5-2 overall, 4-1 in the MIC) must win the next two games over the Lawrence North Wildcats and the Carmel Greyhounds to defend their conference title.

Center Grove was No. 1 in Class 6A while Ben Davis was No. 3. No. 2 Penn was a big winner Friday night so look for Ben Davis to be No. 2 when the state polls come out this week.

Center Grove and Carmel also each have one conference loss and the Trojans end conference play this weekend against North Central.  Carmel plays Pike this Friday while Warren Central visits Lawrence Central.

The Giants look to extend their three-game winning streak when they play Lawrence North Friday at Lawrence North. Kickoff is at 7 p.m. This Sunday also is the IHSAA football draw.

About the Photographer
Tre Redeemar, Photographer

Hi, I'm Tre Redeemar...  I am a senior and a second year photographer. I love sports photography, especially football; yet, I don't get football at all....