Filed under News

Ritz kicks off professional development day for MSD Wayne staff

Teachers attend multiple sessions after Ritz announces re-election bid

Indiana State Superintendent of Public Instruction Glenda Ritz gave the keynote speech for the November 4 professional development day for staff in the Metropolitan School District of Wayne Township. Included in the speech was the announcement that Ritz plans to seek another term as the state’s education chief.

Ritz, who taught for more than 30 years before becoming state superintendent of public instruction, encouraged educators to help students become civic-minded.

“Education is an integral part of the political system,” she said. “You have to be there. You have to be part of the system.”

Ritz outlined upcoming changes in the how the state tests students. And she vowed to continue to work for a type of educational accountability that is not based on labeling schools with letter grades.

“I am dedicated to making sure that our assessment and accountability has meaning for you in the classroom,” she said. She also promised to advocate for more state funding for textbooks and professional development for educators.

Ritz’ speech was the first part of a busy day for staff in the MSD of Wayne Township. Other professional development activities included demonstrations of teaching involving muscle movement for preschool and elementary students; classes on early literacy instruction and strategies for learning algebra; and dozens of other sessions.

Students in MSD Wayne had the day off as their teachers and other school staff took part in the professional development sessions. Many MSD Wayne schools were used as polling places for Election Day.

About the Photographers
Tom Hayes, Advisor

After 20 years of covering sports in the Indianapolis area, I found myself teaching high school journalism in New Castle, Indiana. That was a decade ago....

Shelby Jenson, Co-photo editor

My name is Shelby Jenson, I am one of the photo editors for Spotlight. Photography has become more than a hobby or something to do; it’s became my passion....