Upcoming Events

Be careful this spring break

Travel can be tricky this time of year
Be careful this spring break

With spring break quickly approaching, lots of people are getting excited about vacationing and having a chance to get away. Spring break often results in crowded southern states, with everyone looking for warm weather and sunny conditions. Anyone traveling down to warmer states are urged to consider some safety precautions in order to relax and avoid conflict.

Just this past weekend, more than 800 Southwest Airlins were delayed or cancelled in the first weekend of heavy spring break travel. 

Without a doubt, the most popular state to travel to during March and April is Florida. Areas like Miami, Panama City Beach, Daytona Beach, and Fort Lauderdale are magnetic tourist destinations. Jacksonville, Florida has been ranked the seventh most dangerous spring break destination, followed by Miami at number eight, and Fort Lauderdale at number ten. The Miami Beach City Commission presented rules for spring break in order to keep the city from becoming too overcrowded and unsafe. The commission voted for curfews during spring break, closing some beaches at 6 p.m. and pushing to implement a curfew of midnight for everyone out. Miami’s crowd peak is the weekend of March 10, as well as the two weekends that follow. During this time, flight prices are high and hotel rates go up as college students tend to fill the city.

While Florida tends to get overcrowded, the top two most dangerous tourist destinations are located in Louisiana. Baton Rouge is ranked at number one, and New Orleans at number two. These cities are known for their parties, which makes them unsafe during the spring break weeks. Charleston, South Carolina and Hilton Head Island, South Carolina face safety threats as well as these areas are known for their high hotel rates and crowded beaches. More popular areas in the South are South Padre Island, Texas and Gulf Shores, Alabama.

Outside of the United States, some popular places to go are Cancun and Cabo San Lucas in Mexico. These are great choices because even though they can get crowded, they are more spread out than the destinations in the U.S. Because there is so much to do, there is less risk of overcrowding. People also love to travel to the Bahamas during this time in order to soak up as much sun as possible. 

Traveling is one of the most enjoyable parts of spring break. While it’s nice to just have a break from school, work, or other activities, it’s also exciting to have a trip planned. If you’re planning to travel this upcoming March, make sure you’re looking at safety precautions beforehand. The main concerns regarding spring break are cumbersome air travel, expensive flights, virus breakouts, crime increase, and large crowds in general. It’s easy to get caught up in your trip, but always be prepared for any circumstance. In addition, if you aren’t traveling this spring break, there is still a lot to be excited about. Relax with some time off, and hopefully enjoy warmer weather, as well as later sunsets. Additionally, spring break marks the halfway point in the second semester, meaning the year is almost over! In just a few months, it will be graduation for seniors, and summertime for everyone.