Journalism staff wins nine state awards

Three “best in state” awards highlighted a successful day for the Ben Davis student publication staffs at the annual Indiana High School Press Association fall convention Oct. 18 at Franklin College.

Seniors Grace Ishikawa and Ashley Shuler each earned “best of state” awards and the student publications staff walked away with nine awards.

Ishikawa was named best in state for her photography portfolio and also earned a second place award for sports photography. Shuler teamed with 2013 graduates Megan Tackett and Nikki Van Volkenburgh to win best in state for maestro package, which was a series of articles dealing with the Wayne Township budget last school year. Shuler also was voted to a second straight term on the student governing board of the IHSPA.

Catherine Dogget, a 2013 graduate, won best in state for advertising design. Ben Davis competes in the Division III of IHSPA, which is the large school division.

Other award winners included 2013 graduate Jaclyn Van Duzer with honorable mention for communications graphics, Tackett won second in state for editorial writing, junior Madison Woodward won third in state for newspaper feature photography and second in state for yearbook feature photography, and 2013 graduates Laura Daily and Olivia Peavler won second in state for yearbook theme development.

Both the Spotlight and Keyhole were finalists for newspaper and yearbook, respectively, of the year.