NFPW honors Hayes

Organization names publication teacher tops in the nation

Publications teacher Tom Hayes teaches a class at the CSPA convention in New York City this past March. Hayes was honored as national adviser of the year last week by the NFPW.

Katie Kelley

Katie Kelley

Ben Davis student publications adviser Tom Hayes has captured 2018 national journalism honors.

Hayes took first place in the category of faculty adviser of student publications from the National Federation of Press Women. Hayes advises the school’s Spotlight newspaper and Keyhole yearbook staffs.

The competition is hosted by the National Federation of Press Women. Hayes entered the competition at the state affiliate level through the Woman’s Press Club of Indiana. His entry advanced to national judging because it had captured first place at the state level.

Hayes will be honored at the organization’s national convention in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, in September.

Hayes is finishing his 12th year advising student publications at Ben Davis. He also taught for two years at New Castle after finishing a 20 year career as a sports writer in central Indiana. Hayes is a graduate of Ball State University.