Upcoming Events

April is a busy month for special days

April is full of hidden holidays and big events. Following bigger holidays like St. Patrick’s Day and Easter in March, April is still a month worth celebrating.

This year, there are two major events occurring in April. Having started on March 10, Ramadan continues until April 9. Ramadan is the ninth month of the Islamic calendar, and is a time period observed by Muslims worldwide. Additionally, another big April event is Passover. Passover is a major Jewish holiday that will begin on Monday, April 22 and continue until Tuesday, April 30. 

Additionally, a well-known holiday in April is, of course, April Fools Day. Every year on the first day of April, it is common to pull pranks on those around you. This holiday has been celebrated for centuries, but its exact origins are up for debate. Many say the holiday originated as a result of the Hilaria festivals that were celebrated during Roman times. The Hilaria is the name given to Roman festivals occurring on the March equinox. These were celebrations that often resulted in dancing and music throughout the streets. Although there are other beliefs of how April Fools Day began, this is the most common thought. 

Throughout April, there are smaller holidays and awareness days as well. Whether it be to celebrate a food, an activity, or spread knowledge about a topic, April has a full calendar.

• April 2: World Autism Awareness Day
  • April 6: National Acai Day
  • April 11: National Pet Day
  • April 15: Tax Day
  • April 19: National Cat Lady Day
  • April 21: National Chocolate Covered Cashews Day
  • April 22: Earth Day
  • April 23: World Book Day
  • April 27: Babe Ruth Day
  • April 30: National Raisin Day