Filed under Uncategorized

Giants finish second in boys county track meet

Event goes down to the final race

An exciting finish to the 2015 Marion County boys track championships saw Ben Davis come up a few seconds short of the title.

Needing a first place finish and at least a fifth from Warren Central in the final 4 by 400 relay to sneak out the team , the Giants were edged at the finish line by Warren Central, who won the relay in 3:25.04 while Ben Davis was second at 3:26.13. That margin gave the Warriors the championship with 113 points while Ben Davis was second with 106.

The Giants were led by junior s Christian Powell and Jalil Brewer. Powell won the long jump with a jump of 22’4” while Brewer was first in the shot put at 56’3”. Powell also was a part of the winning 4 by 100 relay that that won in :42.4 and also included juniors Chris Evans and Rodney Williams and senior Derrick Jones.

Evans also finished fifth in the 100 meters (:11.11) and third in the long jump (21’7”).

Other Ben Davis finalists included sophomore Noah Thomas eighth in the 100 meters, junior Jordan Wilkerson fifth in the 200 meters and fourth in the 400, senior Sydney Smith eighth in the 200,  junior Tevin Smith eighth in the 110 hurdles and seventh in the 300 hurdles,  junior Corey Williams fifth in the 00 hurdles, senior Asmar Bilal fourth in the high jump, senior Jailyn Hardin sixth in the high jump, senior Caelan Priddy second in the pole vault, sophomore Jamiu Lawal fifth in the pole vault, senior Justin Brandon second in the discus and sophomore Pumprey Coleman third in the discus.

“Our strengths continue to grow and produce,” coach Mike Davidson said. “Competing in meets with such high level competition is helping gain needed experience as we go into the championship part of our season.”

On Tuesday night, the lady Giants finished fourth in the Marion County meet with 57 points while Warrren Central won with 141 points.

Junior Ravon Woodson led the girl;s with a sixth place finish in the 100 and fourth in the 200. Junior Daja Collier finisished ninth in the 100, senior Connie Braham was fourth in the 800, junior Regina Wright was eighth in the 800 and the 4 by 400 relay team finished fourth.

About the Photographer
Aislynn Biven, Staff writer

I’m Aislynn, but my friends call my Aissy. I am finally a senior. Publications is my favorite class because it’s chill and fun. I hope to have a great...