Upcoming Events

Holiday shows are just getting started

Ben Davis is the place to be for Christmas entertainment

The theatre and auditorium stages are about to get real busy.

Starting Friday at 6 p.m. in the auditorium, Ben Davis will host six holiday shows in the next eight days. And then the following week the production of Clue will in the threatre from Dec 14-17.

BD Music Events 

The Ben Davis Orchestra, Band, and Choir all have upcoming Winter concerts next week. 

All three Orchestra branches — Giant, Chamber, and Symphony — have their concert on December 7,  beginning at 7 p.m.

The Symphony, the highest level orchestra, is playing four pieces: ‘A Yuletide Reel’, ‘I’ll Be Home for Christmas’, ‘Christmas Eve/Sarajevo 12/24’ and ‘Last Christmas’.

“It takes about a week to learn a singular piece if you truly pay attention,” said violinist Andres Preciado. “But if you don’t practice outside of class then it could take two weeks or longer.”

Symphony pieces are grade 4, which is more complex than the other Orchestra branches.

“We’re just trying to bring out the musicality of it all and really make it sound like Christmas,” said first violin Reily Allison. “We only have five concerts, so we really need to make them count.” 

The three Bands — Concert, Symphonic, and Wind — will perform on December 4, beginning at 6:30 p.m.. The Symphonic band will perform three pieces, ‘Heaven’s Light’, ‘Into the Arctic’, and ‘You Better Sleigh’.

Our Jazz Band will perform its annual holiday show Dec. 13 at 6:30 p.m.

“We’ve had some of these pieces since the beginning of the year,” said sophomore Patrina Magers. “I’d say we’ve gotten pretty good at it over time. Each section has significant parts and not knowing them can hold back the band, but we tend to get a lot better as the concert gets closer.” 

The Choirs — the show Choirs — will perform on December 5. They are performing the songs ‘This Christmas’, ‘Jolly Old Saint Nick’, and ‘Noel’. The choir Holiday POPS Soiree is Dec. 9 in the commons.

“It takes about two weeks minimum to really get good at the songs,” said sophomore Onix Dawson. “We’ve had the pieces for nearly four weeks by this point, and it’s vital that you practice during that time; otherwise, it wouldn’t be good.”

So if you need a holiday fix in the next two weeks, Ben Davis is the place to be.