Filed under News

Wayne Township goes ‘No Smoking’

The Metropolitain School District of Wayne Township voted Monday night to ban smoking on all township property during the school board meeting.

The ban will go into effect on April 7, 2014, the day all students return from spring break. The new policy reads as follows:

NO TOBACCO POLICY FOR SCHOOL CORPORATION

BUILDINGS AND ACTIVITIES HELD OUTSIDE ON SCHOOL CORPORATION GROUNDS

The Board prohibits the use of tobacco in any form and the use of e-cigarettes in any building owned or leased by the MSD of Wayne Township, on school corporation property, or in corporation owned or operated vehicles.

The Superintendent is directed to develop rules and regulations to enforce this policy effective April 7, 2014.  These rules shall include provisions consistent with state law regarding the posting of notice, requesting persons to refrain from using tobacco in violation of this policy, and removing from the school building or school property persons who refuse to comply with the policy after being requested to do so.

Pursuant to state law, persons who violate this policy will be committing a criminal infraction punishable in an action brought by the prosecuting attorney.