Lydy finishes fifth in Big Ten

Alumni college sports update

Week ending March 9

WRESTLING

Purdue’s Dylan Lydy finished fifth at the Big Ten Championships. The redshirt junior defeated a Northwestern opponent 17-2 in the first round and an Ohio State opponent 5-1 in round two before losing a semi-final match 6-5 to a Michigan wrestler. He then wrestled in the consolation round to determine final places and lost a match by .05 riding time in a 3-3 match with Nebraska before winning the fifth place match 5-3 against Ohio State. By winning his first two matches, Lydy qualified for the NCAA Championships.

MENS INDOOR TRACK AND FIELD

Purdue’s Jalil Brewer, who had placed second in the Big Ten shot pout event with a toss of 64-3, placed 16th at the NCAA Indoor Championships with a best of 54.0.

MENS BASKETBALL

Michigan State (25-6, 16-4) defeated Nebraska 91-76 and clinched a tie with Purdue for the regular Big Ten championship with a 75-63 win against Michigan. Aaron Henry started for the Spartans in both wins and had 15 points (5 for 8, 1 for 2, 4 for 4), five rebounds, three assists, one blocked shot, and one turnover against the Cornhuskers; and nine points (3 for 7, 1 for 2, 2 for 4), eight rebounds, two assists, and one blocked shot against the Wolverines.

BASEBALL

Logan Butrum pitched one inning for Wabash (3-6) in a 10-7 loss to Gustavus-Adolphus and gave up three hits and two earned runs.