Taylor named top football player in state

Second BD student named Mr. Football

Staff writer

Move over James Banks, you now have company. For the first time since 2001, Ben Davis has a Mr. Football award winner in senior Reese Taylor.

Taylor has started at quarterback for the past three seasons. He led the Giants to the 2017 Class 6A state championship in impressive fashion. The Giants were rated No. 1 all season and finished 14-0 and rated among the top 10 teams in the nation.

The Giants won the state game 63-14 over Penn and set 27 records in the process. Taylor started the game with 76 yard touchdown run and he finished with six touchdown passes, completing 18 of 22 passes for 340 yards with one interception.

During this season, Taylor completed 215 of 296 passes for 3,150 yards and 41 touchdowns. He also ran the ball 136 times for 802 yards and 15 touchdowns. His career totals include 7,720 passing yards and 79 touchdowns, both school records. On the ground, Taylor had 2,144 yards and 47 touchdowns. The Giants were 29-9 in the three years he was a starter.

“I have been working with Reese since fifth grade,” offensive coordinator Justin Faires said. “He always practices hard and he always plays hard. He is as complete a player as I have ever been around.”

Taylor will take his talents to Indiana University next year to play for former Ben Davis coach Tom Allen.