Upcoming Events

It’s National Fast Food Day

Workers talk about their experience in industry
VectorStock.com/42472698

If the lines seem a little bit longer of your favorite fast food establishment today there might be a good reason.

Today (November 16) is what the fast food industry calls National Fast Food Day. An internet search could not uncover why November 16 was selected for this honor, but let’s celebrate America’s obsession with fast food.

The Center for Disease Control estimates that 36% of American adults (over 18) consume fast food on a daily basis. That same study says Americans typically eat fast food two or three times a week. McDonalds is still the king of the industry, bring in $130 billion world wide in 2021.

As national fast food day creeps upon us, two Ben Davis students talk about their experience working in the industry.

“Not only have I had the chance to work with new people but I’ve come across nice customers who have made my experience worthwhile,” said junior Zoe Koukouris, who has worked at Pandera Bread for the past two months.

Koukoris says her funniest moment is when a customer gets mad or someone gets pulled over in front of Panera and all the workers huddle around the window to see what’s going on.

Junior Namiyah Quinn has worked at Pandera for three months. One of her favorite moments is when the customers are happy to receive their food and then they talk to her. Quinn states her funniest moment was almost falling in front of a customer after someone spilled a drink. She also speaks about her worst experience at Panera.

“My worst experience is when a customer gets angry at me because they don’t know what they want,” Quinn said.

As fast foods take a toll on our daily lives, we appreciate those who work to fulfill other peoples day with food.