Upcoming Events

Plenty of movie options set for 2024 release

New Mean Girls leads a list of anticipated shows

A new year means new movies.

Following a powerful year for film, several new highly anticipated movies are set to be released throughout 2024. If you’re planning on going to the theater, here’s a few to look out for.

To start the year, Mean Girls the musical is releasing in early January. The remake of the popular 2004 movie reuses the same characters, plot elements, humor, and settings that were used in the original. Despite being similar to the original movie, the new adaptation features musical numbers based on the Broadway version of Mean Girls. Original audiences are excited to see what this new film has to offer.

Dune, released in October of 2021, instantly became a hit. With stars such as Timothee Chalamet, Zendaya, Rebecca Ferguson, Oscar Isaac, and more, the film was highly anticipated for months prior to its release.

The sequel, titled Dune: Part Two, is scheduled for release on March 1, 2024. This is set up to be one of the biggest movies of the year after the success of the first film. Even bigger audiences are being drawn in with new cast members like Florence Pugh and Austin Butler joining the scene. 

Another highly anticipated sequel is Inside Out 2. The first Inside Out film was released in 2015, and has been highly successful in the industry since then. The second movie was announced in September of 2022, leaving audiences excited for what is to come. The movie will revisit the same main character, Riley, but this time as a college student. In addition, there will be new emotions introduced, adding new elements to the film’s plot. 

A Quiet Place is a horror/sci-fi film directed by John Krasinski. After the first movie became such a blockbuster, a second film, A Quiet Place Part II, was released. Now, there is a third movie in the series set to be released in June of 2024. A Quiet Place: Day One will be a spinoff prequel of Kransinski’s original story, starring Emily Blunt, Joseph Quinn, Millicent Simmonds, Alex Wolff, and others. It will take place before the first film, showing life before the super-hearing aliens took over.

Mufasa: The Lion King is set to be released on December 20, 2024. This is a musical film serving as a prequel to the original Lion King. The prequel will follow Simba’s father, Mufasa, and explore his origins and life before Simba. 

One of the most successful animated movies of all time, Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse received rave reviews after hitting theaters in 2018. The sequel, Across the Spider-Verse, received similar success, leading to a third film, Beyond the Spider-Verse, set to release sometime in 2024. Its opening was originally scheduled for March, but due to industry strikes in the past year, it has been pushed back to an unspecified date.
Bob Marley, a Jamaican singer-songwriter, was a highly successful musician who overcame adversity to reach his goals. His story will be told through Bob Marley: One Love, which is releasing on February 14, 2024. Marley will be played by Kingsley Ben-Adir, who will bring to life Marley’s journey to success.

The Fall Guy, starring Ryan Gosling and Emily Blunt, is releasing on May 3, 2024. This action film will be an adaptation of an ‘80s TV show about a stuntman, who is to be played by Gosling. David Leitch, a former stuntman himself, will be directing the film. 

Other highly anticipated sequels/film continuations are Scream VII, Deadpool 3, Kung Fu Panda 4, Despicable Me 4, Venom 3, and Zootopia 2.