Upcoming Events

What to look for in Week 1 of high school football

Two out-of-state games highlight the schedule
Kyla Jones
The Giants get ready for the preseason scrimmage at Westfield.

This year’s high school football is a different and exciting year.

A much different opening games this year without games like Ben Davis vs. Brownsburg, HSE vs. Lawrence Central and Warren Central vs. the defending 3-peating State Champions, Center Grove.

Center Grove has one of the toughest schedules out there and the chance of starting 0-5 doesn’t mean to count out the Trojans. Our own Giants are looking very deep this year and state contenders with some key returns like our quarterback Thomas Gotkowski, linebacker Nylan Brown, running back Alijah Price and many of our skilled players.

Both BD and CG start with long road trips. Our Giants travel to Cincinnati tonight to take on Moeller, an all-boys private school much like Cathedral. Moeller is ranked NO. 53 in the country and has a Michigan-bound running back that will be a difficult test for the Giants. The Crusaders — Moeller’s nickname — are going into this season ranked #2 in the state of Ohio. The Giants surely aren’t gonna back down.

Last season the Giants went 6-4 with losses to Center Grove, Carmel and Brownsburg which were all close games. No matter the record you can never count the Giants out as they’ve shocked everyone over and over time again. It’s time to pay close attention, get our season started and watch one of your state contenders go out to shock and prove everyone wrong once more.

The other big state road contest features Center Grove at 2-time defending Ohio state champion St. Edwards. It will be interesting to see which state comes out on top in both those games.