Wayne receives $1.2 million grant

Richard M. Fairbanks Foundation awards funding

Back to Article
Back to Article

Wayne receives $1.2 million grant

Staff Report

The MSD of Wayne Township has been awarded grant funding of more than $1.2 million from the Richard M. Fairbanks Foundation to help educate students on substance abuse and improve students’ social and emotional well-being. The grant is part of Prevention Matters – a three-year initiative launched by the Fairbanks Foundation.

MSD Wayne was one of 24 grant recipients in Marion County. Our schools are part of an initiative that is projected to serve 71,112 students across 151 Marion County schools by the 2020-21 school year.

Prevention Matters funding will help our schools deliver evidence-based prevention programs to students beginning this school year.  The programs we have selected are designed to help improve academic achievement, attendance, and classroom behavior. These programs can reduce bullying and violence as well.

The grant funding will be used to support teacher/staff training and curriculum materials, and MSD Wayne will be supported by third-party prevention experts paid for by the Fairbanks Foundation to ensure effective delivery of our selected programs and maximum benefit to our students.

About the Foundation: the Richard M. Fairbanks Foundation strives to advance the vitality of Indianapolis and the well-being of its people by addressing the city’s most significant challenges and opportunities. It is not affiliated with Fairbanks Addiction Recovery and Treatment Center. More information is available here: rmff.org.