Upcoming Events

Vetter enjoys seeing students succeed

Social studies department chair Mike Vetter loves education.

Vetter went to IU for 6 years for undergraduate and graduate and got his masters degree. He originally studied geographic information systems while working as an IS person before he changed majors and went into teaching.

Vetter’s reasoning to become a teacher was because “I love working with people and seeing students succeed.”

Vetter has been teaching at Ben Davis for 16 years and originally started teaching at Wayne Prep and Lynhurst but the middle school principal at Lynhurst encouraged Vetter to come teach at BD.

A few things Vetter loves about the students is that they are so engaged, and that they are fun to be around.

“Some of the things they have told me like jokes they’ve told me , the things they do over the weekend it’s just fun to hear what students are doing with their lives,” Vetter said. 

Lastly, the kindness they have shown him. Seeing the students exceed is what makes Vetter want to be a better teacher.

“To see students grasp the knowledge and actually use that knowledge beyond high school is exciting,” Vetter said. 

Vetter explained how he helps prepare his students for the real world.

:Some of the things we do in my educational classes we create portfolios, we create podcast, we create things that students help take students to the next level,” he said.