Upcoming Events

Solar eclipse should be memorable

Make sure you have the proper eye wear before looking up

A solar eclipse is a celestial event that occurs when the moon passes between the earth and the sun at the right moment, blocking the sunlight and casting a shadow on the earth.

It’s like a temporary darkening of the sky but it’s only during the day. It is important to wear special solar eclipse glasses because they are made with specially designed filters that block out most of the sun’s harmful rays, which help protect your eyes during the eclipse. Looking directly at the sun, especially during an eclipse can be extremely harmful to your eyes and could even cause permanent blindness.

The last solar eclipse to occur was August 21, 2017. In Indiana it was a partial eclipse. Monday – April 8th, 2024 – Indiana will experience a total eclipse.The last total solar eclipse was 1869 and we won’t experience another one until 2099.

Because Indiana is having a total solar eclipse we are expecting many people from states who will not experience that to be in town for it. The Indianapolis Motor Speedway will be open for people to come and watch the eclipse with a special guest, a NASA expert who will be onsite to answer any questions people may have. IMS is anticipating a crowd of 40,000 on Monday.

The Indiana State Museum will be open where attendees can learn about the solar system through demonstrations and hands-on activities. A limited amount of solar eclipse glasses will be available for visitors with extra available for purchase in their store.

The Indiana State Fairgrounds is allowing you to reserve a campsite or just drive on down for a general admission of $25 per one car of five people.

There have been 15 total solar eclipse events to affect a portion of the continental U.S over the past 150 years, these were in 1869, 1878, 1889, 1900, 1918, 1923, 1925, 1930, 1932, 1945, 1954, 1959, 1963, 1970, and 1979.

There are different types of solar eclipses including total, partial, and annular eclipses, depending on the alignment of the sun, moon and earth. Ancient cultures had various beliefs about solar eclipses such as, in ancient china they believed that a dragon or celestial dog was devouring the sun during an eclipse. In Norse mythology it was believed that wolves were chasing the sun and moon causing the eclipse. The ancient Greeks saw eclipses as signs of gods’ displeasure, which all are not true.

“I plan on going outside and looking at the eclipse with eclipse glasses on,” junior Malik Williams said.