Upcoming Events

Solar eclipse should draw large crowds

Wayne to close all buildings on April 8

Superintendent Dr. Butts warns that the upcoming solar eclipse could be a day like no other.

“It could be like the Indianapolis 500, NBA final, and Super Bowl all going on at the same time,” Butts said.

With that as a backdrop, Butts and the Wayne Township school board approved at the March school board meeting that Wayne Township schools will be closed April 8.

Even though many of us complained or wondered why we didn’t get snow days off, Dr. Butts came up with the idea of using one of our snow days for the eclipse. Once Butts knew that we would not be using our allotted snow days, his decision to take April 8 off was easy.

Since NASA and more scientists will be working together – NASA is co-sponsor of a viewing event at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway – to get a picture and data “we believe it will just end up as a traffic jam,” Butts said.

Around 3:10 on April 8, the solar eclipse will happen – the visibility which is one of the major reasons we will not be able to come to school for our safety since it’s during dismissal time.

Many cars will want to go over the road and just get out to watch it – that’s why Butts and the school board decied to make it a free day.

Not only will students have the privilege to stay at home and see it but the staff of Wayne will be able to. We have been provided 40,000 pairs of glasses that they ordered a while ago since we knew the eclipse was coming. Schmit Associates is an architecture firm that is a part of Wayne and helped provide the glasses.

“So with permission slips, parents will have to sign it in order for the students to receive two glasses to watch the eclipse. The staff will also be receiving one glass as well. Since it’s a historical event we want to make sure everyone is safe to enjoy the eclipse,” Butts said.

Since Ben Davis will be closed, the only ones who will be here are the few staff members who will make sure our school is okay like air quality and security.

Since we haven’t had one since southern Illinois that was a partial eclipse Wayne science expert Rick Crosslin took a crew in 2018 to livestream it so students and staff could see it. Some of the staff took students outside during school hours so the students could see it.

“It is important for us to know about our history since what would happen if the moon would always block the sun, it would affect all our life,” Butts said.

For some people, April 8 will find it enjoyable and a pleasure to have that lifetime experience while others unfortunately will brush it out as no big deal.

Since it’s a three-day weekend many people will have time to catch up on subjects and enjoy a free Monday. We now get to see important things on TV around the world but since it will be close to us hopefully people take advantage of seeing the beauty of the eclipse.