Upcoming Events

There is always help for those in need

Plenty of places if you just look
There is always help for those in need

It’s no secret that people have emotions, some people struggle with them more than others. It’s not their fault and definitely nothing to be ashamed of. 

Most teens struggle with some form of mental illness, and don’t know how to find help or how to speak up. Being scared of judgment, or even treated differently. People have to realize there is nothing wrong with wanting better for themselves. Teens go through tons of different overwhelming things that cause stress or even trauma. We need to be educated on where we can get help or how to even ask for it. 

It really isn’t talked about, I mean yes mental health awareness is out there, but where do you find the help? 

People struggle with tons of different mental illnesses, some of the most common found in teens is Anxiety, Depression, and eating disorders. No one should have to struggle with these alone, and especially when at their lowest. 

The most common thing that comes to mind when getting therapy is driving to your doctor. Of course, that is one way. Luckily there are new ways to get help, maybe something that would suit you better. 

Technology opens a whole new door, doing therapy online is easier for tons of people. Not everyone has the time or is comfortable with in person therapy. There are  tons of different companies that offer just chats or even meetings/calls to talk to your therapist. 

Some of the most popular companies are BetterHelp, Brightside, and Talkspace. Basically you take a quiz and get matched with a therapist or group that will help you. You can test it out, find who fits you and your goals. 

Online therapy works better for teens due to time management. You have tons of things going on everyday, an appointment might not be able to fit in the schedule. But you shouldn’t be deprived of help. Also getting a ride somewhere also may be a struggle, so online therapy could solve that too.

Now some may want help from school, because this is the place you spend most of your time at. Ben Davis does offer support groups, personal counseling, and other mental health services. They understand school and other things can be overwhelming, you need support to help you get through these times. We also have a club called “Bring Change to mind”. This club is quoted from the club description “ to end the stigma and discrimination surrounding mental illness.” They talk all about mental illness and promote getting help and caring for others. This club can show different points of views you may not have, also ideas that could help you. 

Never forget asking for help is better than staying silent.