Upcoming Events

Oppenheimer tells a story we all need to see

Despite a few flaws, this movie is a generational film

Christopher Nolan needs no introduction. He is one of cinema’s most beloved modern filmmakers.

Nolan’s approach to any movie, regardless of whatever he’s exploring, is impressive. His latest feature, Oppenheimer, is based on the historical novel American Prometheus: The Triumph and Tragedy of J. Robert Oppenheimer.

This film covers the physicist’s life, from the birthing of the atomic bomb at Los Alamos, New Mexico. The weapon he made was the destruction of Hiroshima and Nagasaki, Japan at the end of World War II.

The story as we know it begins as J. Robert Oppenheimer (Cillian Murphy) attends lectures around Europe from leading physicians. After returning to the United States, Oppenheimer sets up the first class for students to study nuclear physics. After a while teaching and gaining the attention of the U.S. military who have already begun finding ways to make a weapon to stop Hitler and end WWII. General Leslie Groves (Matt Damon) assigns Oppenheimer to lead the famous Manhattan Project, the world’s first atomic bomb. 

Nolan has made many movies with his most famous ones being the Dark Knight trilogy in which I and many other Batman fans love. Aside from those movies, this film might have found its way to the top of Nolan film’s to me and even arguably one of the better films of this generation.

It gives us an important story that needs to be told. I believe this story could not have been told any better than how Nolan explained it.

Even great movies have their cons or flaws and this had a couple. Now many people love movies going back and forth with the present and past stories, but this one might have had too many and some things not needing to be told. The next thing that wasn’t a huge problem but was the amount of characters and even with the long three hour movie, made some of these characters feel pushed in.

I’m going to have to see the movie again to really know some of these characters because of the amount of them and the screen time some of them have made them forgettable.

These cons stood out to me and many little things you could pick out but won’t affect the movie too much. Other than those things I have no problem with this movie. I found it great and interesting and suggest it to all types of movie fans.