BILL BILL BILL BILL

Bill Nye the Science Guy is back, and he’s woke

Hera Boyd, Co-editor-in-chief

Beloved by the majority of our generation — and the one before us as well — Bill Nye the Science Guy is back and instead of his typical children’s science show this time his target audience is adults.

While the intro to the show still repeatedly says his name, it’s apparent that his look, ideas, and goals have all evolved since his original show. Instead of touching on small topics meant to teach children in the classroom, Nye is thinking bigger. His focus is on larger global issues that need to be addressed, as well as some scientific myth busting and experiments. This new show is bravely being called “Bill Nye Saves the World.”

It’s clear within the first few minutes of the first episode that Nye intends to educate, entertain and well, do some science. He uses the simplest of experiments, the heating and rising of a liquid, to explain what’s going on on our own planet.

Recent human behavior is causing negative effects in our environment and in a short skirt, the show gives a brief example of what life would be like if we keep going in the direction that we’re going.

And things aren’t looking pretty here on earth. From overuse of resources to many forms of pollution, we’re working our way to an extinction faster than we realize.

There are plenty of ways to prolong the inevitable demise, however, no steps seem to be taken by the government or the population. Now whether this is refusal or ignorance is a fine line. The best option we have at the moment is to educate our young and old alike on the topic as best we can and to further prevent more ignorant usage and depletion of our earth’s very limited supplies.

That’s why it’s incredibly important to have shows like “Bill Nye Saves the World” to start educating the public on these issues that need dearly to be addressed. Though the silly antics are still there, the projection of a positive message outshines it and with the state of our planet at the moment we really do need Bill Nye the science guy to save the world, one episode at a time.