Fashion sense

A throwback look has its positives and negatives

Back to Article
Back to Article

Fashion sense

Malashia Pringle, Staff Writer

Fashion is a concept of the past, the present, and the future. Case in point —  1980s fashion.

Some might say no era’s style is as equally loved and hated as the period from 1980 to 1989. It was a time filled with leg warmers, high-cut spandex, sequins galore, and lots and lots of neon. Or even the 1990s where baggy jeans, overalls, baseball caps, windbreakers, and Jodeci boots were trending like no other.

So close, yet so far away, the first decade of the 2000s was filled with a string of styles that were just as iconic as the ‘80s and the ’90s. From the all-over BAPE hoodies to the rise and fall of music artists name brands, these are some of the best trends of the early 2000s.

Headbands. Whether you were coming from the court, or you were rapping a song, sweatbands had bizarre crossover appeal. Artists like Neyo or even athletes like Allen Iverson sported this look. In hip-hop, they were like batters gloves in the ’90s, a bizarre sports accessory that dudes starting rocking in completely non-athletic contexts.

White tees. So cheap you could buy several for a dollar, but functional and simple enough to go with anything. Rappers such as Eminem, LL Cool J, Jay Z and other famous artists were known to strut this style as well as anybody who’d been influenced by the up and coming artists. Most people saw the “tall tees” as a sign of drug dealers and African American stereotypes come to life. They were condemned in the press and used as a way to profile individuals. But at the end of the day, isn’t it just a t-shirt that’s four sizes too big?

Or, the famous, TLC and late R&B singer Aaliyah whom created a notorious fashion trend among women. Oversized pants and a big flannel shirt were paired with a tight cropped shirt or a sports bra. You’ve seen this style in even the most known and loved music videos from the artists such as “No Scrubs” or “More than a woman”.

Also, even some of the weirder fashion statements of the decade such as jeans with no back pockets & embellished jeans. If you didn’t have flare jeans with some combination of splattered paint, rhinestones, safety pins or artistic designs, you didn’t experience the 2000s like you should have. Artists like Alicia Keys or Christina Milian made wearing something as simple as jeans a completely different look & feel.

Now, this is simply just a short walk down memory lane as we reminisce the way dressing up or down use to be in the early 2000s. Music artists were one of the biggest influences over fashion in this era. What your favorite singer or favorite rapper was wearing, that’s what you felt you needed to wear. Though, it is said that fashion is evolving every day, within the first several years of the new millennium fashion and sense of style have varied like no other.

About the Writer
Malashia Pringle, Writer

Hi! This is Malashia Pringle, Im 17 years old and currently a senior. One thing you should know is i love writing. Ever since i was 12-13 years old i knew...