Henry helps MSU win Big Ten

Alumni college sports update

Week ending March 17

MENS BASKETBALL

Michigan State (28-6) won the Big Ten championship tournament with victories against Ohio State (77-70), Wisconsin (67-55), and Michigan (65-60), and earned a number two seed in the NCAA Tournament. Aaron Henry had eight points (4 for 10, 0 for 0, 0 for 0), three rebounds, one assist, and one steal in 26 minutes against the Buckeyes; six points (2 for 6, 2 for 2, 0 for 0), 11 rebounds, two assists, one steal, and three turnovers in 30 minutes against the Badgers; and six points (2 for 6, 0 for 0, 2 for 4), five rebounds, two blocked shots, one steal in 35 minutes against the Wolverines.

WRESTLING

Purdue’s Dylan Lydy is the number 11 seed at 174 pounds in the NCAA Championships, which begin on Thursday.

WOMENS OUTDOOR TRACK AND FIELD

Ball State’s Maritza Rodriguez placed second of 14 in the 3000 meters (10:08.44) at the Stan Lyons Invitational, hosted by Butler with  a field that included the Cardinals, Wright State and Evansville.

MENS OUTDOOR TRACK AND FIELD

Rose-Hulman’s Noah Thomas won the 100 meter dash in a field of 18 in 10.99 and placed second of 25 in the 200 meters (22.30) at the Rose-Human Early Bird Invitational.

Purdue’s Jalil Brewer placed fourth of 13 in the discus (151-02) and ninth of nine in the hammer throw (139-09) at the USTA International at San Antonio.

MENS TENNIS

Marian lost 5-0 to Middle Georgia State and won 7-2 against Georgetown, Kentucky and 9-0 against Arcadia. Ian Deiters, playing No. 5 singles and No. 2 doubles, lost 8-3 in doubles and was trailing 6-4, 2-0 in singles against Middle Georgia when the match was stopped;  won 6-1, 6-3 and 8-6 against Georgetown; and did not play against Arcadia.

BASEBALL

Isaiah Davis is batting .258 (8 for 31) for Vincennes (9-6).

Ohio University (4-13) lost to Dayton and won one of three against Army. Zion Avery played in two games against Army and was hitless in four at bats. He is hitting .107 (3 for 28).