A little league of their own

Flashback at sports

Joey Chadwick, Staff Writer

The history of sports may extend as far back as the beginnings of military training. The first record of sports is that sports was used as a mean to determine whether individuals were fit and useful for service.

Team sports may have developed to train and to prove the capability to fight and also to work together as a team.

The history of sports can teach us about social changes and about the nature of sports itself, as sports seem to be involved in the development of basic human skills.

As one goes further back in history, dwindling evidence makes theories of the origins and purposes of sports more and more difficult to support.

No matter what the history is, sports are a part of our culture and have been for decades. Our current athletes are hooked.

For at least 100 years, entire villages have competed with each other in rough, and sometimes violent, ball games in England (Shrovetide football) and Ireland (caid).

In contrast, the game of Calcio Fiorentino, in Florence Italy, was originally reserved for combat sports such as fencing and jousting being popular.

Horse racing, in particular, was a favorite of the upper class in Great Britain, with Queen Anne founding the Ascot Racecourse.

Races over short distances, or sprints, are among the oldest running competitions. The first 13 editions of the Ancient Olympic Games featured only one event, the stadion race, which was a race from one end of the stadium to the other.

Three sprinting events are currently held at the Olympics and outdoor World Championships: the 100 meters, 200 meters, and 400 meters.

Here’s what some of our athletes had to say about their early beginnings with sports:

“After my first day of track practice, I instantly knew she was a runner. I had always dreamed of pursuing it throughout my entire life and I love that running is something that people of all ages and backgrounds can enjoy. I’ve enjoyed it since the first day and practice is still something I look forward to every day,” Junior Mariah Judy said.

I started when I was four and I fell in love with it ever since. It’s like the same old song just with a different tune, as people grow they get stronger, they’re hit harder and you just got to learn how to adapt to that level of play. It also gave me an opportunity or a platform I needed to further my education because no one wants student loans you know and I just was stressing about how I was going to pay for college,” Senior Elijah Ball said.