Giants season ends in overtime

Boys finish 21-6, thrilling finish goes to Warren

Senior Aaron Henry had two chances to be a hero Saturday afternoon.

His first chance came at the end of regulation when his potential game-winning shot from 30 feet hit the rim as time expired. Henry again found himself with a potential game-winner in the final second of overtime but defensive pressure from Warren Central junior David Bell forced Henry into a rushed shot that feel short and gave Warren Central a thrilling 48-46 overtime win.

The loss ended BDs chance as repeating at Class 4A state champions. Warren Central, ranked No. 1, went on to win the Southport regional with a convincing win over Terre Haute South in the championship game. Warren (30-0) now faces No. 3 New Albany in this weekends Class 4A semistate at Seymour. Carmel faces South Bend Riley in the other 4A semistate.

Ben Davis was hampered by a first quarter injury to starting point guard Cameron Maul, who had to sit and watch the game from the end of the bench. The Giants also had to sit junior center Dawand Jones for much of the fourth quarter and overtime due to foul trouble. That was to much for the Giants to overcome and Warren’s ball pressure in overtime kept BD from attacking the basket. The Giants lost three times this year to Warren Central.

The loss ends the careers of seniors Aaron Henry and Kesean Tunstill but the Giants will return four starters next season. Henry will likely be named an Indiana All-Star after the state finals and should join senior Nia Clark as Indiana All-Stars from the class of 2018.