• December 6"You must expect great things of yourself before you can do them." - Michael Jordan

• August 5To order a yearbook, visit www.yearbookforever.com or see Mr. Hayes in X109.

Are kids safe?

Pedophiles need to stay away

Hayden Cohrs, Staff Writer

A pedophile is a person who is attracted to young children, which is really disgusting and shouldn’t even be a thing, but in the past few months, a lot of women of every age have been coming out say to say that older men have sexually assaulted them. These girls are just kids or were just kids when they were assaulted.

Most of the talk has been in Hollywood lately. Models like Juliana De Paula and Cara Delevingne have come out about things that have happened to them, but it’s not just Hollywood,

Child Protective Services agencies have found strong evidence to indicate that, 63,000 children a year were victims of sexual abuse. One in nine girls and one in 53 boys under the age of 18 experience sexual abuse at the hands of an adult.

A lot of people that have posted their opinions online have said things like, “You shouldn’t have been wearing that,” implying that the victims were wearing skimpy clothes. But really, most people were wearing everyday normal clothes.

Little girls wearing overalls and a t-shirt didn’t deserve it, no-one deserves it. The problem isn’t clothes, or how the victim looks, the problem is older men and women not knowing how to leave young children alone.

Pedophiles who are caught doing the act can face up to 30 years in prison, where other inmates jump them and some are killed by other inmates for being a convicted pedophile, but is jail enough? Some people have posted on twitter that jail isn’t enough for pedophiles, parents of small children feel like they should be mutilated or executed.

Others argue that victims should learn to say no. Little girls and boys that are young don’t even know what sex is, they are young and basically helpless.

Teenage victims are easy to manipulate, some teen girls feel special when an older man is talking to them and they feel like they can’t stop talking to this person until it’s too late.

We should teach men and women to leave children under the age of 18 alone, teach them to leave anyone who does not consent alone, and empower young girls and boys to ask for help and love themselves.

No means no, no matter the situation.