Making Hershey history

The chocolate treat dates back to 1894

Hayden Cohrs, staff writer

We all know Valentine’s Day is February 14. But do you know how giving gifts like chocolate to your significant other or friends become part of the day? Or do you know the history behind the delicious treat?

Milton S Hershey wanted to put smiles on peoples faces and he did exactly that when he founded the Hershey Chocolate Company in Lancaster, Pennsylvania in 1894. The first product introduced to the public was Hersheys Cocoa, which is a chocolate powder. In 1900 the original Hershey’s bar we all love and enjoy even today was released and his factory was built.        

Hershey wanted everyone to be happy — from public customers to his workers. He wanted his workers to have a better life, along with his factory so he built a model town in 1906.

This town even had trolley systems, schools, and a zoo. He liked knowing his workers could be somewhere, where they could relax and have fun after a long day at work, and soon Hershey Park was built, which is now a theme park for families to go and unwind. He also opened up a School in 1907, called The Milton Hershey School. It was originally for orphaned boys who were excluded from society, education and good lives. Hershey was truly an angel who wanted everyone to live good lives and be as happy as they could be.

Along with happy workers and families, he kept coming out with new chocolates, and in 1907 Hershey kisses were released, which were wrapped by hand.

Everybody loved them back then and everybody still does today. New chocolates seemed to of stopped until 1926, when Hershey’s chocolate syrup was released in stores. Tons of families went and bought the sugary treat, and were able to enjoy making chocolate milk in the comfort of their own homes.

Chocolate kept being made, all families and children were kept happy with their tummies full of delicious candy. From 1929 to 1939 Hershey funded the “Great Building Campaign”, which put 600 men to work during the great depression. The Great Building Campaign was basically a time where Hershey funded men being able to build large structures for work, it kept a little money in people’s pockets for hard work.

Sadly in October of 1945, Milton Hershey passed away due to pneumonia, but before he did that he trusted his entire fortune to care for the company, town, and schools. Even though he’s gone, his work still lives on. Today over six billion dollars in sales are made from buying Hershey products, the candy lives on and people still smile when taking a bite.

If you’re looking to make someone special smile just like Milton Hershey did, here’s an easy delicious chocolate recipe for Valentine’s Day, or for any time of the year. What you’re going to need is a pan, wax paper, fresh strawberries, a few bags of Hershey’s semi-sweet chocolate chips and 2 tablespoons of shortening, make sure not to use butter or oil because it won’t come out the way you would like it to.

-Put your wax paper on your pan

-Place your chocolate chips and shortening in a microwave-safe bowl and microwave for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally so that they don’t burn.

-Dip your strawberries one by one into the chocolate and place on wax paper.

-Refrigerate for 30 minutes to an hour

– Enjoy.

About the Writer
Hayden Cohrs, Online Editor
Hi. My name is Hayden Cohrs. I’m a senior, and I have been in Student Publications since the second semester of my sophomore year. This year I’m your Online Editor and I’m looking forward to hopefully having a great year.